San Antonio DPS
Find San Antonio DPS information including address and hours of operation, and even schedule your driving test online![GARD align=”center”]
- (1) Leon Valley Mega Center
- (2) San Antonio Babcock
- (3) DPS General McMullen
- (4) DPS South East
- (5) DPS Pat Booker
DPS South East Hours
Mon, Wed, Thur, Fri: 8AM – 5PM; Tues: 8AM – 6PM
DPS South East Address
6502 South New Braunfels Avenue, SAN ANTONIO, TX 78223
DPS South East Phone
Get your drivers license fast! DriversEd.com– your ticket to freedom.
1. What should I bring when I make an appointment at the San Antonio DPS office?
It varies upon what it is that you are trying to accomplish. If you are renewing your San Antonio drivers license, then you will need to complete a drivers license renewal form, and have your old license and your social security number. If you are trying to obtain your first TX driver license, then you will need to complete a online drivers ed course prior to your application at the San Antonio DPS Office. If you are between fourteen and seventeen years old, you can get 10% off the enrollment cost for internet drivers education by clicking here. If you are between eighteen and twenty-four years old, you can enroll in an online Adult Drivers Ed class by clicking here.
2. What are the San Antonio hours of operation?
We have listed the office hours and telephone number for all DPS Texas locations, including the San Antonio DPS office. Since the San Antonio Department of Public Safety may close during special holidays, we strong recommend you call in advance of your visit to make sure that the San Antonio DPS office is open.
3. Can I pick up the forms that I need at the San Antonio DPS office?
Yes, or you can access them online here on our website by clicking here. We strongly recommend you to have the mandated forms prepared before your visit. Trust us, it will make the process faster. You’ll thank us later!
4. Is it true that the San Antonio DPS now requires a “Proof of Residency” policy for first time drivers license applicants?
Yes. However, it’s not just the San Antonio DPS. Effective April 2012, any vehicle operator applying for an original Texas drivers license, Commercial Drivers License or ID card is required to bring a minimum of 2 documents to verify his or her identity. This is Texas law.
San Antonio Dps Requirements
Going to the San Antonio DPS for your Texas driver’s license will mean that you have certain requirements of what you will need to bring along. If you want to get a Texas Driver’s Handbook to help study for the test, you can pick it up at the DPS San Antonio location or find it online.
Before going to the San Antonio DPS please be sure you have the following items so you can take them along:
Documents that will prove your identity will need to be supplied at the DPS San Antonio location. This includes your Social Security Number, proof of residency in Texas, and also you may need the U.S. citizenship or lawful presence proof.
When you get to the San Antonio DPS you will need to fill out the application.
Also the following will need to be presented:
- Registration of any vehicles you own in the state of Texas if you’ve moved to the state and are considered a new resident. You will also need to prove your financial responsibility for those vehicles and any other that you own to the DPS San Antonio location.
- If applicant at the San Antonio DPS does not own any vehicles you will need to provide a statement to affirm that.
- Applying at the San Antonio DPS office in person, please bring along the documents that are need, and the money for fees you will pay.
- The applicant at the DPS San Antonio office will also need to pass a vision exam
- If you are visiting the San Antonio DPS office you will have to pass test for knowledge and driving tests, there are some people who may be exempt. (Need to take the test in another language, please visit that page to see how you set that up with your DPS San Antonio office.)
- People who apply at the San Antonio DPS office who are taking the teen driving course will also have to complete the ITTD or Impact Texas Teen Driver requirement.
NOTE: Under the age of 25, the San Antonio DPS applicant will need to complete the education course before they apply for their license. ATTENTION: As of the date of April 1, 2015 it is a requirement that the teen driver education course completion must also include the ITTD course before San Antonio DPS applicant can take driver skills exam.
Any San Antonio DPS applicant who is not 18 also has extra requirements they must meet. See the details on the Teen Drivers Ed page for more details.
Foreign Students and Nonresident Visitors
To help cut down on the risk of identity theft, the San Antonio DPS licensing process needs nonresident applicants to meet additional requirements. This will include students who are nonresidents. To see the details please go to the US Citizenship or Lawful Presence page. The documents you need to bring to the DPS San Antonio office will be detailed in the Verifying Lawful Presence Guide. These requirements must be met by people who are visiting the state on a temporary basis as well. You can also find a list of documents via a download, ask the DPS San Antonio worker if you need assistance.
New Texas Residents
Adults 18-24 who just moved to Texas must meet certain requirements in order to apply for their first Drivers License in Texas. Please see the Moving to Texas page for details.
Motorcycle and Moped Riders
There are different requirements for people who ride mopeds and motorcycles. Please see the Motorcycle Licenses page to learn the details.
U.S. Military Veterans
Some US disabled Veterans may be eligible for exemption of fees when getting their license or ID cards. To find out more please see the Veteran Services page.